Embarking on a spiritual journey is a deeply enriching experience, and one such pilgrimage that holds great significance for Hindus is the Chardham Yatra. Located in the picturesque state of Uttarakhand in India, Chardham refers to the four sacred sites of Yamunotri, Gangotri, Kedarnath, and Badrinath. These revered destinations draw millions of devotees every year who seek spiritual solace and bl...
Swargarohini also called as “Way to heaven” is a massive mountain range nestled in the Saraswati range of the Garhwal Himalayas. This revered place of Uttarakhand is beautifully adorned in the Uttarkashi district and to the west of the Gangotri group of Peaks and is the water source of the Tons River. This mountain massif is a group of four separate peaks Swargarohini I, II, III, and IV of which Swargarohini I draws the major attention which is perched at an elevation of 6252 meters above the sea level and is also considered as the main peak. However, it is not the highest peak in the Bandarpunch range according to the Himalayan standards yet it’s beautiful and vivid topography makes it the more inviting, appealing, and the attractive one. This mountain massif acts as a watershed between Yamuna and Bhagirathi River.
This beautiful mountain range is located at a distance of 38 km from Badrinath and 33 km from Mana. It lies at 8 km trekking distance from Satopanth Lake and is considered as one of the best and the toughest trekking trails in Uttarakhand. It is located in the Govind Wildlife Sanctuary. It is located at a distance of 17 km from the Badrinath Temple. It consists of two different peaks named eastern summit and the western summit.
According to Hindu mythology, the Pandavas traversed through this Himalayan Mountain Range to reach heaven. However, Yudhishthira was the only Pandava who was able to reach heaven and was accompanied by a dog. It is a strong belief among Hindu devout that Swargarohini is the only way to reach heaven in the form of a human.
- The first successful climbing of Swargarohini Peak was done in the year of 1974 by a team consisted of Charles Clarke who was from England, Disher Singh Virk, Peter Fuhrman, and Bruce MacKinnon who were from France were accompanied by Mohan Singh and Rattan Singh of India. Before this successful climbing, it had witnessed several failed attempts.
- A team of NIM made the first successful ascent from the northern side of Peak I in the year 1990.
- A Swedish team of mountaineers made the first successful ascent from the southern side of the peak in 1993.
Places to Visit
The destination surrounds many other striking and appealing places like Dayara Bugyal, Har ki Doon etc.
- Dayara Bugyal: This trekking trail is considered as one of the toughest and the breathtaking trek in Uttarakhand. It is located at an elevation of 3080 meters above the sea level in Garhwal and is nestled amidst snow-clad mountains. The place is very much popular for trekking, backpacking, and the mountains. Being an offbeat destination you hardly find any other tourists.
- Har Ki Doon: This trekking expedition of Uttarakhand gives you an enrapturing and memorable trekking experience. This is one of the favorite summer treks for the trekkers which is adorned with sprawling wild orchids and Himalayan wildlife like bores, deer, and leopards. If you are on a Har Ki Doon trek you get the picturesque views of the glaciers.
- Kedarkantha Peak: It is located at an elevation of 3179 meters in Garhwal and is a very nice place to visit. The trek is heavily popular for its trekking, adventure, and beautiful mountains. It is also an offbeat place like Dayara Bugyal and is always seen less crowded. January, March, and December are the ideal months to visit this place.
How to Reach
The route to Swargarohini is Badrinath – Mana – Lakshmiban – Chakratirtha – Satopanth Lake – Swargarohini Base Camp. Badrinath Helicopter Yatra play a vital role in reaching your destination comfortably.
By Road: Badrinath has good connectivity of roads from Rishikesh, Haridwar, and Dehradun. One can easily reach at this by taking a bus from Kashmiri Gate Delhi and from there you can take a bus or a private taxi to Badrinath. Usually, in the morning the buses from Haridwar and Rishikesh leave early in the morning.
By Rail: Since Badrinath doesn’t have a railhead so Haridwar Railway Station is the nearest railway station to Badrinath. Haridwar Railway Station is connected well with many other cities like Ahmedabad, Dehradun, and Delhi.
By Air: Jolly Grant Airport is the nearest railway station to Joshimath. The airport is well connected with Delhi from where frequent flights run regularly. From Joshimath, one can easily opt for a bus or a taxi to reach Badrinath. Jolly Grant Airport well connected with Badrinath by the motorable roads.
Best Time to Visit
Spring season is the best time to visit Swargarohini in which the whole atmosphere is beautifully adorned with the scented and flower-blooming meadows and the valleys covered with scattered snow makes it an exciting and memorable journey. Monsoon is not a good time to visit Swargarohini as the place receives heavy rainfall resulting in the landslides and the blockage of the roads.