Located in the lower and more accessible parts of the Garhwal Himalayan range, Mussoorie is one of the most preferred hill holiday destinations in India. Due to its proximity to all the major and minor cities like Delhi, Punjab, Chandigarh, and Haryana among others, people quickly make their way to the gentle slopes and welcoming hills of Mussoorie with just a blink of an eye. Over time this fabulous hill town, which was once inhabited by the British and the Indian elite and royals, turned into one of the most preferred destinations on the hills to beat the scorching heat of the summer. The government of Mussoorie recognized the rising potential in tourism that this place has to offer and developed railway routes, flight journeys, and roadways along with various facilities like electricity, connectivity, and other developments in providing good accommodation and food as well.
Planning a trip to Mussoorie? Looking for confirmed good routes to take you there? Here is how to reach Mussoorie with ease, comfort, and complete knowledge of the routes:
Hill station of Mussoorie which is also known as the queen of hills in north India is one of the most romantic getaway destinations for everyone. If you are a nature lover who wishes to spend your holiday amidst the cool breeze, peaceful babbling river, and incredible lush greenery, without having to travel to some far-flung locations the Mussoorie is just the place for you. Gracing the northwestern region of Devbhoomi Uttarakhand, inside the gorgeous Doon Valley, Mussoorie is located at a feasible distance of just about 30 kms from the main city of Dehradun (the capital of Uttarakhand).
Mussoorie is a very popular hill station in India which means that it has a very smooth, motor-able, and strong network of roads. These roads link up to the various different parts of nearby cities, towns, and other big cities as well. There are many buses that connect places like Delhi, Chandigarh, Haryana, and parts of UP to Mussoorie. These can be privately run Volvo buses or government-run state bus services as well. The highways connecting Delhi to Dehradun have enabled connectivity within just 4 hours. This means that you can easily take your car or book bus tickets and reach Mussoorie in just a blink of an eye. The drive will be very smooth sailing as well as scenic.
The train journey is one of the most budget-friendly ways of getting to Mussoorie, especially if you are traveling from some far-off state in India. Located at a distance of just about 36 kms, is the Dehradun Railway station. It was established by the British during their reign in India and setting up a railway station and railway lines leading in and out of the hill station was one way of transferring various resources and British folks to and fro Mussoorie and Dehradun. No Indian was allowed on the train.
Numerous trains connect Mussoorie to other parts of India including Delhi, Jammu, Kolkata, and Amritsar. After reaching Dehradun railway station, tourists can take a cab to reach Mussoorie which is available in abundance at the station. It would be smarter to book this cab service beforehand in order to avoid uncertainty and other delays. If cabs are too expensive for your budget then you can even choose to travel to Mussoorie via a local bus service that is easily available there. Ask some local authority for directions and timings of these buses.
Not many people choose to go to Mussoorie by flight however if you have limited days for a vacation to travel or if you are in some emergency situation then booking a flight ticket would make things a lot easier for your travel plans. Mussoorie does not have an airport but the nearest airport is in Dehradun at a distance of just a little over 50 kms. Jolly grant airport in Dehradun receives daily flights from Delhi. Taking a flight directly to Delhi first and then booking another flight for Dehradun can be the perfect flight route for you to take to reach Mussoorie. Other nonstop flights from Delhi are Indigo, jet airways, and spice jet. On reaching Dehradun you can either book a cab or take a bus to Mussoorie.
Here is a potential itinerary that you can use to get the best experience in Mussoorie. It will be a 3 nights and 2 days plan where you can have an awesome sightseeing expedition as well. You can follow the given itinerary: Delhi – Dehradun – Mussoorie – Chamba – back to Delhi for departure.
Smart Booking Tips for Mussoorie
- If booking flight tickets always remember that be it national or international flight tickets, be sure to book as early as possible for good deals on flight tickets, maybe 30 to 90days prior to your travel date.
- Be flexible with your travel dates because most of the cheap flights or train tickets are available mid-week.
- No matter what you’re booking, flight, hotel room, cab, or an experience, be sure to keep your options open and compare their prices to their respective other competitors. Chances are, you may find some great deals on them and end up saving a lot of money if you had gone with just one option.
- Book a hotel that is closer to the places you wish to travel and explore. This will save you a lot of unnecessary travel time and money. Don’t be afraid to check out discounts available for your stay option online and don’t be afraid to claim these offers and discounts.
- Read the cancellation and refund policy of anything that you will be booking beforehand. If due to some reason you are unable to make it to Mussoorie then you can go for a hotel that offers a free cancellation option.
- In case your trip to Mussoorie is a sudden and spontaneous one, then instead of booking through an app, you can first check online for room availability in various hotels and then contact them on reaching there. This will make you Availa a very cheap deal on hotel rooms as online room booking costs a lot when compared to walk-in reservations.
This is almost everything you need to learn about how to get to Mussoorie with ease and without hesitation. Try out the tips as well which will save you a lot of time and money.