Uttarakhand or Devbhoomi is one of the top tourist and hill destinations in India which caters to crowds from different corners of the world. Not only is this place a prime place for spiritualism and pilgrimage but it is also one of the best places to detox your mind body and soul or even indulge in some adrenaline pumping adventure sports activities like river rafting, camping, trekking and much more. There is so much more to this place that it will take you a lifetime to explore the wonders it beholds. It is an oasis for travel lovers, peace seekers and everyone who loves getting lost in the beauty of nature. Although a very welcoming place one must know some important and general travel tips for travelling to Uttarakhand since it is full of surprises. Be prepared on your next travel plans for Uttarakhand by following these simple tips:
Being situated at a high altitude and on the hilly regions it is vital for you to know everything about the weather which include:
- Carry rain coats and umbrella while travelling to anywhere in Uttarakhand. Since the weather here is very moody and unpredictable. It may seem sunny in the morning but may suddenly rain a few hours later.
- Be sure to avoid travelling during the rainy months since the entire place remains susceptible to flooding, landslides, unexpected mud slides and other such things.
- If you are planning on a pilgrimage to Uttarakhand then make sure to do it during the summer months when the tourism is at its peak and the weather conditions are clear to travel from one place to another.
- No matter what the morning or the afternoon time is, the nights in Uttarakhand are cool and quiet freezing. So make sure that you have appropriate clothing for night and early morning especially if you are going on a pilgrimage to a remote location.
- The months of March to June is perfect for a summer getaway to the hills while on the other hand if you wish to experience the Himalayan winter then the months of October to February is ideal.
There are several budget lodges, home stays, hotels and even luxury resorts available in select locations. You can choose anywhere to stay either through online hotel booking portals or through a reliable tour provider.
- Be sure to make all your hotel bookings in Uttarakhand way beforehand since being one of the prime places of tourism in India the bookings are made and sold out very quickly.
- Go through a reliable holiday planner or a tourism company that will be able to cater to all your needs. There are several tour packages available for Uttarakhand depending on your liking, budget and requirement.
- Go through all the reviews and speak to the accommodation provider before you go there and make sure they have all the arrangements made. Last minute change in plans may not be possible since being on the hills not everything functions the way it does on plains.
Travelling anywhere in Uttarakhand not only allows you to savor some of the most awe inspiring views but it is also not all that easy and some of the essential trips should not be missed out on like:
- Carry a good pair of walking shoes to deal with the rough terrain, sunscreen block – which you must apply before going outside, sunglasses or reflectors to protect your eyes and a hat or a cap for some extra protection from the sun.
- Read up beforehand about the place you will be visiting and plan out your own itinerary so that you have some idea about where you are going and what you must expect when you reach Uttarakhand.
- The people of Uttarakhand are welcoming and friendly and can understand Hindi and some English.
- Carry only cash and conceal it in different places in your bag and wallet for some extra safety. There may or may not be ATMs in a lot places around here and some may not be in working condition so carrying cash is always recommended.
Adventure Sports Tips
Adventure and other such adrenaline pumping activities like paragliding, camping, trekking, rafting and hiking requires you to be prepared during all instances of your travel. Some of these tips doing adventure tour activities are:
- Camping Tips: Be sure to get all the permits required for camping in Bugyals or meadows since these are highly protected, also be sure to carry insect repellants and a good quality of sleeping bag to keep you warm during high altitude camping adventure.
- River Rafting: This water adventure sports activity has to be one of the major adventure people indulge in while visiting Uttarakhand. Be sure to choose a reliable rafting operator and follow all the rules and regulations provided to you.
- Trekking Tips: It is a real pleasure to trek in the lap of Himalayas. Be sure to wear comfortable clothing and along with a walking pole to help you in navigating the routes in a better manner. Do not go on high altitude trekking expeditions if you suffer from high blood pressure or heart related issues.
No matter where you go or what you do remember that you must NOT LITTER and compromise the beauty of this place. Throw the rubbish and garbage in bins and respect the sanctity of the Himalayas.